Tips to Get Started in Beekeeping
- Check your local library for beekeeping books. Get familiar with beekeeping terms and equipment. Read discussion threads and plans to build your own equipment on BeeSource.com.
- Attend area beekeeping club meetings to get familiar with area beekeeping practices and calendar. Great place to meet beekeepers and find mentors.
- Get a subscription to beekeeping journals and start reading about the various aspects of beekeeping. Bee Culture and American Bee Journal.
- Visit a beekeeper's apiary to get ideas on how to best set up your own. Ask an experienced beekeeper to help you.
- Take a basic beekeeping class to learn how to use beekeeping equipment and learn the basics about bees and bee biology.
- Ask questions, and don't be afraid to work with bees, that is the best way to learn!