1. Reusable small hive beetle traps $2.50 each, 20 or more $2 each.
How to use: Use with small hive beetle lure recipes in the center section; can also use pollen patties, apple cider vinegar, pollen, fruit, live beetles (beetles like to huddle up with other beetles).
Fill each of the two outside wells with mineral oil, vegetable oil, food grade diatomaceous earth or pickling lime 1/3 full to trap shb when they fall in.
Check weekly; replace weekly and/or bi-monthly, depending on use and weather.
In summer, place at opposite corners and reverse as boxes go up. In winter, place in center of the hive.
2. 2019 Natural Events Calendars $10. These are the same calendars that were included in 2014-2018 basic beekeeping classes through University of Missouri Phelps County Extension and Rolla Bee Club classes.
How to use: These calendars have natural events listed as well as what native flowers are blooming every month, which helps beekeepers track nectar flow.
You can also post your hive inspection info on the calendar and compare your notes at the end of the year.
3. Seedling ID Guide $10 Handy guide showing seeds and young native plant starts for 40 native prairie plants, all great hosts for pollinators including honeybees. From Missouri Department of Conservation.
Young plant id is at the front, seeds are in the back. Can easily be carried with you as you go out on your property and try to identify what plants you have growing.
4. Trees of Missouri Field Guide $10. Missouri tree id guide with illustrations and planting tips from Missouri Department of Conservation. Planting trees is an excellent nectar and pollen source for bees.
5. Stop the Sting $5. This FDA-approved natural product works well on bee, other insect stings as well as poison ivy and poison oak.
How to use: After scraping stinger off and washing area exposed to poison ivy/oak with soap and water and drying, press tube several times to mix ingredients inside well, then squeeze small amount on fingertip and apply on affected area.
6. Small Hive Beetle Entrance Trap with Adapter* $35
Beetle Jail entrance traps catch small hive beetles before they enter the hive.
With a 2″ deep molded polypropylene oil reservoir, you can use vegetable oil or diatomaceous earth for pest control. Can be used with Langstroth, Top Bar, and Warre bee hives. Made with poplar wood, dipped in Wood Life Classic (a wood preservative and primer), and should be painted with a water based exterior paint before use.
Adapter available for an 8-frame hive. We are currently testing one of these traps to see how well they work here.
7. The Beekeepers Handbook 4th Edition by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile. $20.
Excellent beekeeping guide with illustrated step-by-step directions. Paperback.
Both David and I recommend it for your home reference library, it's a book you will keep going back to as you get more experience beekeeping.
8. The Beekeeping Handbook by Vivian Head $10. Clear and comprehensive guide for any would-be beekeeper.
This brand new, paperback book offers practical advice on how to buy colonies, keep detailed records, manage a hive, deal with stings. Fully illustrated.
Excellent first book for the would-be beekeeper.
9. Honey Flavor Wheel. $15 A guide to help honey tasters describe the various flavors in honey. Includes a helpful guide in how to taste honey and use the wheel.
10. Tried and True MO Native Plants $10. Guide to planting MO native plants with color photos and planting tips from Missouri Department of Conservation.
11. One pound winter protein patty $2 from Mann Lake, a protein patty with less carbs for winter supplemental feeding.
12. Beginning Beekeeping Class Gift Certificate $50 Pays for all day class, refreshments lunch and class materials.
13. Second Year Beekeeping Class Gift Certificate $50 Pays for all day class, refreshments, lunch and class materials.
All Sales Benefit Rolla Bee Club
All proceeds benefit Rolla Bee Club and help finance club activities such as class materials, meeting giveaways, meeting refreshments and related expenses.
Thank you for your purchases and donations!