Recommended Beekeeping Books (as of Sept. 2023)
by Charlotte Ekker Wiggins and David Draker, Rolla Bee Club Founders
Staying on top of current beekeeping developments includes reading.
The following are some of the books we've read and recommend covering a wide range of topics from beginning beekeeping to following migratory beekeepers.
If you have a favorite beekeeping book to recommend as well, let us know. Enjoy!
1, Charlotte Ekker Wiggins, A Beekeeper's Diary: A self Guide to Keeping Bees, 2nd Ed. Charlotte Ekker Wiggins LLC, December, 2021
2. Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile, The Beekeeper's Handbook, 5th ed. Comstock Publishing Assoc: 2021
3. Malcolm T. Sanford and Richard E. Bonney, Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees, 2nd Ed, Storey Publishing, 2018
4. Richard A. Jones and Sharon Sweeney-Lynch, The Beekeeper’s Bible, Stewart, Tabori and Chang, New York, 2011
5. Clarence H. Collison, A Closer Look, Basic Honey Bee Biology, A. I. Root Co. 2011
6. Clarence H. Collison, What Do You Know? A. I. Root Co. 2003
7. Graham Kingham, Honeybee Anatomy Brought to Life, Northern Bee Books, 2021
8. Mark L Winston, The Biology of the Honey Bee, First Harvard University Press, 1991
9. Jurgen Tautz, The Buzz about Bees, Biology of a Superorganism, Springer Science, 2008
10. Tom Seeley, The Lives of Bees: The Untold Story of the Honey Bee in the Wild, Princeton University Press, 2019
11. Tom Seeley, Honeybee Democracy, Princeton University Press, 2010
12. Lawrence Connor, Increase Essentials, Wicwas Press, 2014
13, Lawrence Connor, Queen Rearing Essentials, Wicwas Press, 2009
14. James Tew, The Beekeeper’s Problem Solver: 100 Common Problems Explored and Explained, Quarry Books, 2015
15. Fergus Chadwick, et al, The Bee Book: Discover the Wonder of Bees and How to Protect Them for Generations to Come, DK, 2016
16. Tammy Horn, Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation, Univ of Kentucky, 2006
17. Sue Hubbell, A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them, Random House, 1988
18. Douglas Whynott, Following the Bloom, Stackpole Books, 1991